Thursday, February 3, 2011

Carson turns 6!!!

My little dude, is not so little anymore! I like to look back at his old pictures and remember how cute his squishy cheeks were :)
2 years



3 years



4 years



5 years



6 years

Every year since he was three, I have looked at his pictures and thought, wow he is so looking so grown up, and once again I have had the same thoughts this year, but it makes me wonder how much he will change in the next year. I don't think he can get much skinnier! When we went to his well child check up he was 46 1/2" tall, in the 70%, and only weighed 43lbs, just over the 25%. He has not gained 1 pound in the last year, yet he's grown about 2 inches, just my little bean pole.

At his photo session, he was being quite the ham!

I thought the ones of him and Natalie together were super cute too.


Carson was quite thrilled with his birthday this year. He has become super enthralled with lego's, he thinks they're about the coolest thing EVER. In the fall at the beginning of the school year, he was very into Zhu Zhu pets, and they were on sale in like October so I stocked up on quite a few of them, thinking that he would be into those for a while.....then he found legos, I'm pretty sure at this point he would be willing to give up all of his toys if he could get more legos. All he wants for any gift is lego's, and every time we go to the store, he begs and begs for more lego's, specifically star wars lego's....He's never even seen star wars, but somehow it has made an impression. So he opened up all of his other gifts very graciously, and when he got to the lego's he says, oh yes, I can't wait to build this. He is a funny little dude!

I wrapped up all his presents in Iron Man wrapping paper the night before his birthday, and when he came upstairs as we were getting ready to go to school on the morning of his birthday, his eyes get big, and he says, you got IRON MAN paper??!?! I said yes, is that okay, and he responds, oooooh ya, that is way cooler than transformers! (Which his Christmas gifts were wrapped in) I made him wait all day to open his presents until his dad got home after school, and he thought it was complete torture, even more so because I wouldn't let him shake....lego's are pretty identifiable you know :) As he was opening, Natalie kept trying to take all of the presents, and then run away giggling, she has already figured out how to get under his skin.
I like to make cakes, see here, here, here, here, and finally here. It's fun, and I enjoy making them with/for my kiddo's. It is at times very stressful for me, but in the end ALWAYS worth it! For those who know me well, you may laugh when I say this, but I'm a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to creating. I want it to look perfect, and though most times when I am finished it doesn't end up looking "perfect" at least to me, I have gotten pretty good at going off the cuff and adapting to make it end up how I want it. I am a last minute worker, I always have the best of intentions, but rarely find the motivation until the night before/day of to complete my preparations. But this has taught me to work very well under pressure.......This drives my husband bonkers! He hates it when I go into project mode at 10pm, but sleepless nights are when I get the most productive work done, so what do you do?

Anyway, enough rambling, I did actually have some fore-sight with this cake, I baked it three days in advance and put each of the pieces into the freezer to get extra hard, and I made home made frosting that was oh so yummy thanks to my friend Michelle, and though I think it turned out pretty good, it wasn't entirely what I was envisioning, I had a really hard time getting the colors to come out how I wanted them, but looking at it now, I think really only the green didn't get dark enough, the others ended up being okay I think. When I told Carson that we could make a lego cake for his birthday, he was super excited, and wanted me to construct a ship or an airplane, but I told him, this was way cooler....:) Tricky huh?
I asked him where he wanted to go to celebrate his birthday and he chose Raptor Reef in Coeur d'Alene, it was quite a fun time, and a few of his friends were able to come over and join us, so it made it even more fun for him.
Both Carson and Natalie had a great time in the water, Natalie has absolutely NO FEAR, NONE!!!! It scares me to death! Carson has been a chicken since he was tiny, but Natalie looks and me as if to say, what, you think you're going to stop me? She had a grand time splashing around in the toddler pool, and gave the lifeguard quite the stink eye when he told us she couldn't be in the big wave pool.

This is the first birthday that Carson has really gotten to sort of have a hand in the planning, and I think he had a grand time! His Grandma Kay Kay, and Grandpa Garry along with Marie and Weston were also able to join us. And it was a fun time had by all.

To my sweet little man Carson,
I am so excited for all the new adventures you are having, I hope that you never lose your zest and passion for life, it will take you very far, and will always assist you in relationships with others. I hope you always strive to choose the right, and listen to the guidance you receive. You are a smart and quick witted little boy, that at times gets you in trouble, but I know will bring you much success if you use your forces for good. Always remember how much I love you!

MOM

3 comments:

Melanie said...

Happy Birthday little DUDE! My kids love legos too. Especially Star wars ones.

The Larsen Gang said...

Ah, lots of fun! Cute cake, I too enjoy going all out on my kiddos cakes....and I love the pics. Your kids are so stinkin cute!

Devon said...

Andrea,
That cake is awesome! Nicely done!