Saturday, August 21, 2010

Some great finds

We have found some great deals on craigslist this summer, I have been looking for a piano for quite some time. I would like to start teaching lessons, but it's hard to do when you don't have a piano. So in my searching, I found an ad for a free piano to a good home. We went over to look at it, and while the finish wasn't that great, it sounded decent, and we thought that we could probably just sand it down and stain it to make it look much better. Well Garry as he said, "sanded the crap out of it," and started to stain it, and the wood was in such bad condition that we decided that we would just paint it rather than spend so much time sanding down to healthy wood. So behold, our free piano.
I think Garry did a great job, and hopefully it will get us through until we decide to purchase a new one.
Another great find that we got this summer was this kitchen table. I've been looking on and off at craigslist this whole year that we've lived here, hoping to find us an upgrade kitchen table, and finally came across this one. They had it listed for $200, and it came with two leaves, and 8 chairs. I was totally stoked! We went to look at it, and they told us they understood if we didn't want to get it. The finish was almost completely warn off, and there were several cup rings, and a burn spot from a candle, and different colors of wax. But after looking at it, Garry decided he thought he could sand it and refinish it. So while we were gone to southern Idaho Garry finished this project, and I think it turned out great!

1 comment:

Melanie said...

NICE! I wish I had that kind of ambition. I need it. WE SOOOOOOO need a new table.